Sudden Death Overtime at the Memorial Centre, Lakers Take Win and 2-1 Series Lead

Game three took place tonight at the Memorial Centre in the best of seven semi final series between the Redmen and the Lakers. The first two games were each decided by one goal and tonight would be no different. The teams played regulation and a full 10 minute overtime period with no decision, on to sudden death where Josh Currier scored on Redmen starter Mike Poulin for the 9-8 win and 2-1 series lead. 

The Redmen opened the scoring but were down 2-1 after the first as a result of a last minute goal by Curtis Dickson. The second period was a wild affair as the teams combined for seven goals, with the Redmen up 4-3 in the count leaving the contest knotted at 5-5 after forty minutes. Two goals by the Lakers made it 5-3 with half a period to play and the Redmen countered with two of their own in a blistering 19 second span for the tie. 

The final period of regulation saw two goals per team including Dan Lintner's third in the final minute to send the game to overtime.  The first full 10 minute overtime frame solved nothing as each side tallied once, the Redmen lead for a brief time before Shawn Evans sent it to sudden death with less than a minute showing on the clock. 

Dan Lintner with three, Ryan Keenan and Ryan MacSpadyen with two each and a single to Cook accounted for the Redmen goals. Ian Garrison and Andrew Ecclestone seemed to call a tight affair with 13 minors, seven to the Lakers and six to the Redmen. The Redmen had a two-man advantage in OT but could not convert and went 1 for 5 on the power play while the Lakers fared no better at 0 for 3. 

Game four is set for Thursday August 10 at 8 pm at a very busy Iroquois Park Sports Centre which is also home to the Ontario Lacrosse Festival this week. 

The Clarington Green Gaels will also play that night in a fifth and deciding game five of their Ontario Junior B finals vs Orangeville after a 13-8 loss tonight to the Northmen. The Six Nations Chiefs defeated Oakville tonight by a final of  10-6 for a 2-1 lead in that Major Series Lacrosse semi final series.